The Academy has established the most comprehensive and demanding advanced program in equine dentistry. Our goal is to provide advanced students with a strong foundation in all aspects of equine dentistry and an endorsement of achievement and recommendation for certification with the International Association of Equine Dentistry and references in the field.
Prior to enrollment for D-400 level, student must have a solid understanding of all material presented in the 100-300 level classes. Please call the office for certification dates for each session and to secure a spot.
Requirements for attending D-400 Level:
– Completion of 100 Anatomy course
– Completion of 100-300 level courses, and completion of written exams for each level.
– Completion of AED written examination with a score of at least 70%. It is recommended to study all your notes. The book “Equine Dentistry and Maxillofacial Surgery” edited by Easley, Dixon, and du Toit is also a good study guide, particularly the sections on dental anatomy.
– Completion of IAED written examination with a score of at least 80%.
– Acceptance letter from the Academy granting permission to attend D-400 at a given class.
– Notice to the Office of Intent to Enroll for D-400 by Letter, Phone, or Email with a deposit fee of $150.00.
– Apprenticeship: Completion of a minimum of 160 hours (or 20 days) working with an Academy Certified Equine Dental Technician in good standing – does not have to be undertaken in one block. We encourage students to get as much outside experience as possible.
– Recommendation letters: Signed Letter of Assessment of Competence from an Academy Certified Equine Dental Technician in good standing stating he/she believes you are ready to attempt certification.
– Signed letters of competence and good practice from two veterinarians.
– Cases: Minimum of 200 documented case histories uploaded to Google drive via Academy invitation – Post PG-2 level dental courses – including names, addresses and phone numbers. This includes the 25 cases that are required between the D200 and D300 sessions. Some owners will be contacted to confirm authenticity of dental records.
– Essay Paper/PowerPoint Class Presentation: An essay type paper consisting of at least 1,250 words in APA format. Based on this essay, you can build a PowerPoint presentation that summarizes the key points outlined in your paper. The PowerPoint will be presented during the D-400 class. The essay form will be submitted to certification committee. Any type of case can be used but it should be one where you participated in the evaluation and treatment. Equilibration cases are just as good as advanced surgery cases. Paper must have high quality pictures and/or radiographs documenting the process. It is important that you detail what your thought process/reasoning was for any procedures/corrections performed. What were the benefits and potential tradeoffs? Paper must have at least six references that come from a peer reviewed site such as google scholar or pubmed. A high-quality textbook can count as one reference. Wikipedia and other such sites do not count as appropriate citations.
If you need advice on the content of your essay paper, feel free to contact us.
All certification requirements must be fulfilled and submitted at least 60 days prior to the start of the D400 class that you wish to attend. Any incomplete certification application will not be allowed to certify until the next class.
Upon successful completion of D-400, student will receive an Endorsement from the Academy and has the option of attempting certification with the IAED. Student must attend continuing education courses every 18 months to maintain endorsement status. Technicians failing to meet this requirement jeopardize that recognition by the Academy.